Do Blood Eosinophils Predict in-Hospital Mortality or Severity of Disease in SARS-CoV-2 Infection? A Retrospective Multicenter Study - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Journal Articles Microorganisms Year : 2021

Do Blood Eosinophils Predict in-Hospital Mortality or Severity of Disease in SARS-CoV-2 Infection? A Retrospective Multicenter Study

, , , , , , , (1) , ,
1
Pierrick Le Borgne
Laure Abensur Vuillaume
Karine Alamé
  • Function : Author
François Lefebvre
  • Function : Author
Sylvie Chabrier
  • Function : Author
Lise Bérard
  • Function : Author
Pauline Haessler
  • Function : Author
Pascal Bilbault
Charles-Eric Lavoignet
  • Function : Author

Abstract

Introduction: Healthcare systems worldwide have been battling the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Eosinophils are multifunctional leukocytes implicated in the pathogenesis of several inflammatory processes including viral infections. We focus our study on the prognostic value of eosinopenia as a marker of disease severity and mortality in COVID-19 patients. Methods: Between 1 March and 30 April 2020, we conducted a multicenter and retrospective study on a cohort of COVID-19 patients (moderate or severe disease) who were hospitalized after presenting to the emergency department (ED). We led our study in six major hospitals of northeast France, one of the outbreak’s epicenters in Europe. Results: We have collected data from 1035 patients, with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19. More than three quarters of them (76.2%) presented a moderate form of the disease, while the remaining quarter (23.8%) presented a severe form requiring admission to the intensive care unit (ICU). Mean circulating eosinophils rate, at admission, varied according to disease severity (p < 0.001), yet it did not differ between survivors and non-survivors (p = 0.306). Extreme eosinopenia (=0/mm3) was predictive of severity (aOR = 1.77, p = 0.009); however, it was not predictive of mortality (aOR = 0.892, p = 0.696). The areas under the Receiver operating characteristics (ROC) curve were, respectively, 58.5% (CI95%: 55.3–61.7%) and 51.4% (CI95%: 46.8–56.1%) for the ability of circulating eosinophil rates to predict disease severity and mortality. Conclusion: Eosinopenia is very common and often profound in cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. Eosinopenia was not a useful predictor of mortality; however, undetectable eosinophils (=0/mm3) were predictive of disease severity during the initial ED management.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
PierrickLeBorgne_Microorganisms_2021.pdf (1.22 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Publisher files allowed on an open archive

Dates and versions

hal-03269816 , version 1 (24-06-2021)

Identifiers

Cite

Pierrick Le Borgne, Laure Abensur Vuillaume, Karine Alamé, François Lefebvre, Sylvie Chabrier, et al.. Do Blood Eosinophils Predict in-Hospital Mortality or Severity of Disease in SARS-CoV-2 Infection? A Retrospective Multicenter Study. Microorganisms, 2021, 9 (2), pp.334. ⟨10.3390/microorganisms9020334⟩. ⟨hal-03269816⟩

Collections

URCA P3CELL
22 View
42 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook Twitter LinkedIn More